Monday, August 4, 2008

Habemus Frostingus!!

I totally went on a limb and decided to go freehand with the frosting. It worked on the first try! I should stop doubting myself. When it comes to knowing my ingredients I'm pretty good at understanding what will work. I had my doubts about the tofu, and rightfully so.
Fab picked me up at the ferry terminal after work and was kind enough to drive me to Whole Foods to pick up some ingredients for both my frosting and a new batch of brown rice treats.
I checked my labels carefully this time. Absolutely no dairy or refined sugars in the brown rice cereal. More peanut butter, brown rice syrup, raw cane sugar and some other stuff.
Got home...made some yummy creamy coconut curried tofu with garbanzo beans for dinner. The troups scarfed down the vittles and I got to work - my trusty junior foodie watching my every move.
Shira was fascinated by each and every step. She watched as I measured out my ingredients into the mixer. Dutch cocoa powder, agave nectar, my secret magical ingredient and some soy milk to thin it out and give it a nice rich creaminess. I turned the mixer on gingerly to ensure we didn't get a cocoa storm and then slowly turned up the power on my trusty Kitchen Aid...Gosh - I love that thing...20 years old and going strong! (Poo, Poo, Poo...)
Shira and I watched, mesmerised, hoping for a good result.
I scraped down the bowl a few times and could see Shira getting antsy. Heck, I was pretty antsy too. I wanted to taste it...to see if I'd succeeded. She was standing on a stepstool right near the table.
The aroma was definitely on point. It was slightly sweet and deep with chocolate and I had a good feeling about this one. I stopped the mixer and scooped up some of the fluffy cream with my spatula. It looked perfect. I had to feel and taste it...not greasy, not too sweet, very smooth and silky on my tongue and filled with true dark chocolate flavor. This was brown gold! I had to slip some to Fab to get her approval, of course. She's my toughest critic (aside from myself). Hurray! She loved it! I spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
Shira had been fussing by this point. I knew what she wanted...I handed her a perfectly frosted cupcake and she went to town, licking the frosting and biting into the cake. This was a first for her...and I didn't feel that bad about letting her indulge. No refined sugar or grains, no eggs, no dairy, no chemicals, no pesticides, just yummy wholesome goodness in every bite.
She did need a bath afterwards...so off to the showers we went. And then she went right to bed with a sweet little smile lingering on her angelic lips.

No comments: